Saturday, February 20, 2010

Intercultural Conflict - To tip or not to tip

I’m sure many people are familiar with “When in Rome do as the Romans do.” But how many of us are willing to do so when it burns a hole in our pockets. If you are unsure what I’m talking about, I’m talking about the culture of tipping. There is hardly a tipping culture in Singapore and sometimes Singaporeans travelling abroad may find it difficult to accustom to such practices. Such intercultural ignorance may lead to unpleasant consequences which might ruin an otherwise pleasant holiday experience.

In Singapore we do not bother ourselves with tips because a service charge has been automatically included into our bills and we are fully used to it. All we have to do is pay the final amount reflected. However, in other countries this service charge may not be included in the bill and a tip is expected. In those cases it is up to individual discretion as to how much to tip.

How much is the right amount? It varies from place to place and from profession to profession. Therefore one should find out what is the minimum before heading out on a holiday. The amount to tip also depends on how you rate the service and what are you trying to convey to the service staff. An under tip might suggest that you think the service staff’s service was sub-standard.

So what if I do not leave a tip? I would be out of the restaurant before the waiter/waitress knows how much I tipped. You are half right. However some waiters might come after you and call you names which would be unpleasant. Others might form an impression that Singaporeans are cheapskates and do not know the rules and subsequent Singaporeans will be treated with poor service. So if you happen to get bad service overseas, it might be due to Singaporeans who have visited before you. With our country’s name at stake such issues should not be taken lightly.
To tip or not to tip has always been a hotly debated topic. Some reason that some occupations are so under paid that they depended on the tip to make a decent wage. Others feel that the workers wage should be the employer’s responsibility. Whichever side you stand on the decision is entirely up to you.

- Here is a little something I would like to share with all of you
Whenever you sign a credit card do take note at where you sign there is actually a column which says tips and is deliberately left blank. It is for customers to fill in the amount of tips to pay. However in most of Singapore’s context we tend to just sign and continue to leave it blank. There have been incidents where service staff actually fills that in after you signed and in the end that amount was paid. To prevent such incidents from happening remember to cross out the tips part and rewrite the total you want to pay at the final line again.

7 comments:

  1. Wow Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that.Is it the pink receipt?

    In fact, I have met one horrible tipping incident when my friends and I did not give enough tips and the waitress chased after us!Demanding for a few couple of dollars for tips!

    I think it is better to standardise the amount of tips to be given, don't you think so? Less misunderstandings and embarrassments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Tipping is not a culture in Malaysia as well. Personally, I've never come across any situation like that. It has always been my perception that tipping, although not a culture here in Singapore and Malaysia, is practiced in high-end professional workplaces. For example, an luxurious hotel.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    On whether to tip or not, I would perhaps discreetly look at what others do to give me a general idea whether tipping is required.

    In terms of the amount to give, I strongly believe that it is up to the individual. The other party should not demand any value unless the tipping amount has been stated clearly somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi See Chai!
    I also had a similar experience overseas where me qnd my friends did not tip enough after a meal at a chinese restuarant overseas. The waitress was not very nice and it was not a very nice experience.

    I like the way you started your post with the saying, “When in Rome do as the Romans do.” ! It is so true!

    However, recently in Strait Times that there is a report that says that some restuarants in Singapore are not imposing the 7% GST charge. Instead, the bosses of these resturant encourage the customers to tip. And the tips collected are usually shared among the boss and the waiters. However, the amount of money that they received from tips are lesser than the money they could have gotten of they sticked by the 7% GST. So i think tipping is still a culture that we are not used to it.

    As for the amount to give, there is a certain percentage of the total bill and this percentage differs from different countries.

    For me, if I had a good dining experience, I would not mind giving slightly more.To make things easier, some restuarants actually write down the amount of tips that they are expected to receive. I think it is good as it saves us the trouble of calculating how much to give.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm.. After reading your post, I realised that I gave tipping very little thought when I went overseas. Perhaps this is due to it not being practise much in Singapore. Usually when my family and I dined in the higher end restaurants, my father did not give tips as well. Luckily for me, I have not been in a situation where I was chased after by the waitress or was thrown with sarcastic remarks just because I did not give enough tips or worse, not given a tip at all. I think I will think twice, when I travel overseas, about the tipping culture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very relevant observation and post, See Chai. In fact, I just saw a discussion on the same topic on Media Corps' blog TV. You present different perspectives on the issue. One is the fact that within so-called "tipping cultures" a low tip means a person has been treated to substandard service. That is a key, and in the US, tipping is how we present rewards (or demerits) to the service staff not just in restaurants but also in hotel lobbies (the bellboys) and in places of interest (tourist guides).

    As for introducing tipping here, I feel that it is probably inevitable. So many "behaviors" have been introduced from countries like the US that for tipping to not yet be fully established is what surprises me.
    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete