Monday, January 25, 2010

Effective Communication

This post is written because I realised from the schedule that my previous post wasn’t totally relevant. And so here I am again. Hopefully this will complement the previous post to make bring it into focus.

Isn’t communication just about getting the message across? Or so I thought. After two lessons of ES2007S I realise it’s not so simple. Communication is not just about interaction between people that we come into contact with but also about getting information from all around us. With the advancement of technology, the competition within the human race becomes ever more intense. If we cannot communicate
effectively, our voice will be drowned out and lose out in the global playing field.

So what is effective communication? I personally feel that an act of communication is considered effective if both parties have exchanged information or expression on the same level of understanding and the desired effects of the act has been achieved on both sides. This is often easier said than done. However mastering the art of communication is a continuous process which starts from the day we were born till the day we die. (Just think of the day you started saying your first words and now and what you will be after completing this course.)

Effective communication is important to me firstly because in order to survive in this harsh economic environment we need to communicate effectively. I’m really looking forward to learning the skills of communicating professionally as I’ll be stepping into the working world really soon. Secondly, being a people person, effective communication helps me in building relationships and maintaining the friendship that is forged previously. Thirdly, I love putting a smile on people’s face and only by being able to communicate effectively can I do so.

I’m glad I’ve taken up this module in my quest on mastering the art of communication. And I am certainly fortunate to have all of you on this similar quest.

“It doesn’t matter how slowly you go-so long as you do not stop.”-Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment